Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are hippies?
Hippie or hippy was a term coined in the 1960s and 1970s that represented a counter-cultural movement originating on college campuses in the US. The culture got so popular that it later caught up with the youths of Canada and the UK too. Even though the origin is believed to be largely due to the opposition to the Vietnam War, today, they have very little involvement in politics.
The underlying context of the movement throughout has been to reject mainstream life. People from this tribe are known to be against materialism and repressive ideas with their own distinctive lifestyles.
What are hippie stereotypes?
Unconventional dressing and the characteristic long hair are the common ways of identifying a hippie. Men mostly keep beards. They are known for being on the move leading a nomadic kind of life. It is not surprising to find many converting their vans and vehicles into homes. They are hardly dressed as per the conventional societal norms. It is uncommon to see a hippie dressed in a suit. It is also rare to find a hippie engaged in a full-time job.
Music is also an integral part of the culture. Be it folk or rock music; hippies love to be a part of innumerable outdoor music festivals that resonate with their ideologies. They were also actively vocal in opposing the Vietnam War during their heydays and often took out protests and marches to express their opposition.
Society often perceives them with suspicion mostly on two accounts – use of psychedelics, be it music or drugs and practicing open sex. Social perception about hippies also pertains to them being dirty, not taking regular baths, being lazy, following unhealthy lifestyle practices, and being mentally unbalanced.
Today, this section of people largely remains a peace-loving sect of society. They are involved in many ecology-saving endeavors. They are advocators of love and believers of non-violence. They are tolerant and open and live by the adage, “Make love, not war.”
Do hippies believe in love?
Yes, they believe in love. A lot of this stems from the fact that they stand for communal harmony and peace. The phrase ‘Make love not war' is an identity that hippies stick by. Their faith in love overpowering violence leads them to express their feelings openly. Hippies are known to live in open communities and have open sexual relationships. Their love for one another also comes from the deep-rooted belief that they need to love every member of their community unconditionally and look after each other.
While most of them do not conform to the norms, rules, and regulations of mainstream society and culture, they are all for love and romance. The modern-day hippie does look for a committed relationship, whether it is from the same peer group or a non-hippie. Even if they do believe in open relationships, most of them are ready to find serious love and romance eventually, settle down and have a family.
Is there a dating site for hippies?
Yes, there are several hippie dating sites. Some of these are highly rated among the rest. These are:
Dating for Hippies
eHarmony is one of the most trusted dating sites. Although it's not an exclusive hippie dating website, but because of its large dating pool, it has thousands of hippies. This is especially true if you are not looking at casual flings. On the contrary, if you aim to settle down, and have a serious relationship, one that continues for a lifetime, then eHarmony is the place to be. The best part is that here you will get to meet people from other ideological beliefs. The 32-dimensional matchmaking system of eHarmony is the most popular aspect of this dating site.
Do hippies get married?
Yes, hippies can get married. There are many instances of successful marriages in this community. Though, in general, the common belief is that hippies live in open communities with open sexual relationships. While this may be true for many, there’s no reason why they cannot get married. There are no rules or regulations in the country that prevents hippies from getting married, settling down, or having a family.
How to become a true hippie?
Looking at becoming a genuine hippie? Here are some ways to become one:
- Embrace music and that too the groovy ones. Remember Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Woodstock, Jimi Hendrix, The Grateful Dead, Joe Cocker, etc., should be on your playlist. If you are surrounded by like-minded friends, it is better. Dance in the rain, embrace nature and be at your most natural self. The other music bands that should be your favorites are – Janis Joplin, Crosby, The Stones, Stills, Joni Mitchell, Frank Zappa, July Collins, etc.
- Don’t stop yourself from going beyond the traditional because that is the elemental difference between hippies and the mainstream culture. Any music thought or process that identifies with love, peace, and understanding, should be on your to-do list.
- Gain more knowledge about the hippie culture – their faiths, beliefs, morals, etc. Watch movies and series based on hippies like the ‘Celebration at Big Sur,’ or ‘Monetary Pop’, etc. Read books, poetry, comics, and more to gain first-hand knowledge about hippies. Remember that spirituality is an important aspect of the culture. Gain more knowledge about chakras and crystals, and learn to meditate and take up yoga.
- Get abreast with the hippie vocabulary and lingo.
- Another important part of the movement is the clothes. Hippies do not care about the fabric or the material. They believe in having the right attitude. So, fashion per se, even with the newest generation, is not a top priority. Get yourself a pair of bell bottoms, tie-and-die long and short shirts, wear naturally-made fabrics, colorful ponchos & flowy dresses, jewelry, loose tops, floral maxis, peasant skirts, flared jeans, hats, scarves sandals, or soft boots.
- Grow your hair. Reduce your visits to the parlor or the salon.
- If you are a man, grow facial hair. If you are a woman, give up the makeup kit.
- Participate in campaigns that make this world a better place. Be the environment, gay or lesbian issues, liberalism, take a stand and vocalize your thoughts.
- Finally, give up non-vegetarian food. Most hippies today stick to organic foods that are GMO-free. Being vegetarian can help you. You can also turn vegan if you wish to take more care of animal life.